Established in 1673, Chelsea Physic Garden is a four-acre green space in the heart of London, contributing to the city’s biodiversity and providing a place for people to connect with nature. Chelsea Physic Garden’s plant collection is the only botanic garden collection focused entirely on medicinal, herbal and useful plants.
Glasshouses have been a feature of the garden for over 300 years. Today they contain plant collections that require protected growing conditions. The gardeners use them as a tool to create different climates, carefully balancing the amount of heat, air and moisture that the plants receive.
This Heritage Lottery funded project and the much-needed conservation of all of the Glasshouses provided an opportunity to explain the importance of these Glasshouses within the gardens and the wider world.